Now in his second stint as Musical Director for the Plainsmen, Rob’s knowledge and love for Barbershop is pushing the chorus to new heights. Over nearly three decades he has acquired in-depth knowledge of the craft of Barbershop, and is constantly looking for opportunities to develop his own singing and directing ability. He brings to the Plainsmen an unwavering passion for technical and performance excellence, along with a dynamic and fun presence at every rehearsal and show.
Rob’s broad musical experience includes playing piano, accordion, banjo, drums, and guitar along with church singing and Operetta, but since 1988 his real passion has been the ringing chords of four-part harmony. An accomplished Bass, Rob has performed and competed successfully with more than a dozen quartets and small ensembles over the years. He is currently a very active member of a mixed harmony ensemble ‘Accord’ and two quartets; ‘Pastime’ (current NZ Senior Men’s champions) and ‘Late Shift’.
Along the way he has made a huge contribution to the Barbershop both locally and nationally as an administrator, coach, judge and mentor. He is known and respected throughout the NZ Barbershop community, and is a wonderful asset to the Plainsmen.
Rob’s performance, directorial and administrative involvement with Barbershop music spans more than a quarter of a century. The following are just some of his many achievements and roles.
- 5-time National Quartet gold medalist (with ‘Sound Connection’, ‘Checkpoint’, ‘A Touch of Satin’ and ‘Pastime’).
- Bronze medalist at the Pan-Pacific Championships in (2004, with ‘Checkpoint’).
For The Plainsmen
- Assistant Musical Director 1993-1994, and 1998-2013
- Musical Director 1995-1997 (and currently)
- Music team Leader 1999-2001
- Secretary 2007-2009
- President – 2010-2013
For Barbershop Harmony NZ (formerly NZABS).
- Training Director 1996-1997
- Vice President 2008-2009
- Secretary 2010-2014
- Young Singers in Harmony competition judge 1994-2015